Forum

» Glyphs

Problem of Thai marks (tone marks)

zood
Registered
#1   Posted: 8 Jun 2012 16:55
Problem of Thai marks (tone marks)

Basically, each tone marks ( such as maiEk-thai, maiChattawa-thai, maiTho-thai, maiTri-thai, and thanthakhat-thai) are comprised of 4 position. (low, low right, high, and high right)

But the software provides only two position such as maiEk-thai and maiEk-thai.small

I have no idea to do it.
Can you advise me?
Georg Seifert
Admin
#2   Posted: 8 Jun 2012 22:38   Edited by: Georg Seifert
As I understand this it works like this:

The base glyph (e.g. thoThahan-thai) has a top anchor. first mark (e.g. saraIi-thai) has a _top (somewhere below the outline) anchor to attach to the top anchor of the base glyph. But, it also has a top anchor (above the outline) itself. The second mark (e.g. maiEk-thai) again has a _top anchor. So it attaches to the top anchor in the saraIi.

So the base glyph does not need to know about the second mark glyph.

because the two marks on top of each other are quite high. So one would use maiEk-thai.small instead of the maiEk-thai. The glyphs are exchanged in the ccmp feature.

thai marks
here you see the letters as they are in the font.

thai text
and here the result in Indesign
zood
Registered
#3   Posted: 9 Jun 2012 07:03
thank you for your advice

how about cases of such as ท่ ป่ กี่ ปี่
Georg Seifert
Admin
#4   Posted: 9 Jun 2012 10:43
zood:
ท่

nothing special, just the top anchor in the thoThahan-thai and the _top anchor in the maiEk-thai
zood:
ป่

The same as above, just move the top anchor a bit to the left:
Thai Mark 2
zood:
กี่

Same as thoThahan-thai
zood:
ปี่

Same as poPla-thai. The maiEk-thai attaches to the saraIi-thai so you dot need to think about it.

And did you generate the features in Font Info > Features? Hit the arrow button in the lower left.
zood
Registered
#5   Posted: 10 Jun 2012 09:06
Do you have a tutorial about Anchor?

Wowww I have done it for ฟ, ป and ฝ by chance ..... it is great
but I cant do for ฬ
zood
Registered
#6   Posted: 10 Jun 2012 09:34
Georg Seifert
Admin
#7   Posted: 10 Jun 2012 12:01
Add an glyph named loChula-thai.short. It will get a top anchor. Or, if you do not what to add it, just add a top anchor (context menu > Add anchor, change name to "top")

and it helps if you put the top anchor in the "regular" base glyphs centered above the right stem. Then move the _top anchor in the mark glyphs to the right, too. (Select two nodes of the stem and an the anchor and hit cmd+shift+A.) That way the _top anchor in the maiEk-thai is centered, too.

And put them on the x-height line (for the regular glyphs).
zood
Registered
#8   Posted: 10 Jun 2012 13:36
I tried to move and arrange anchors of each letters, and
generate my font. then I found a problem.

As the image below, Thai marks did not follow the anchor.

Georg Seifert
Admin
#9   Posted: 10 Jun 2012 14:12
I’m not sure if Illustrator supports Thai mark positioning. Please test in Indesign.

The white knockout in the illustrator screenshot is probably due to a incorrect path direction in the base glyph or the mark.
Georg Seifert
Admin
#10   Posted: 10 Jun 2012 22:59
I asked Miguel Sousa from Adobe and he told me what do do:
To active mark positioning in Illustrator, use read this page:
thomasphinney.com/2009/01/adobe-world-ready-composer
zood
Registered
#11   Posted: 12 Jun 2012 07:04   Edited by: zood
I do not know why .small glyphs do not work

as this image, I tried to edit maiEk-thai.small like pause symbol

These are comparison between the font and my another font

the most below bases on Font Book software
Georg Seifert
Admin
#12   Posted: 12 Jun 2012 11:03
I forgot to mention that you have to enable the "World Ready composer" in Indesign, too. Follow the instructions in the site I send earlier.
If that does not help, could you send me the .glyphs file and the generated .otf?
zood
Registered
#13   Posted: 12 Jun 2012 13:04
of cause, what is your email?
my email is zoodstudio@gmail.com

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.
?